Thursday, June 27, 2013

Savannah's Birth Story--Our June Surprise

June was a crazy busy month....a lot crazier than we thought it would be, but it was amazing! On June 13th, 2013 we welcomed our sweet Savannah Kay Bergeson into our lives. She was born at 36 weeks so she was considered late pre-term (not quite full term, but not considered fully premature either). For being a month early she is perfect!  She has had no problems with her lungs or jaundice. They were concerned with her blood sugar, but after a day she was able to maintain her blood sugars just fine. 

I woke up early on the morning of the 12th and just did not feel well. I was nauseous and having sporadic cramps here and there.  I got up and went to work anyway thinking that it was just nausea and that I would be fine. Later that afternoon I started bleeding and after talking with my doctor she had me go in to get checked out. Turns out I was in labor. My contractions were 4-5 minutes apart and they decided to admit us to the hospital. Luckily, my ever prepared husband had our hospital bag packed and in the car so we were set.  There must have been something in the air that day because the hospital was crazy busy. They had 16 babies born that day.  We went into the hospital about 12:30 and they checked us in about 3:00.  At 5:30 my doctor came in and broke my water hoping that it would speed things up. It did the opposite. After they broke my water, my contractions completely stopped. I made no progress for the next 5-6 hours. The anesthesiologist came in and gave me an epidural about 10:30 at night and then they started me on Pitocin to try and get things going again. The Pitocin worked and the epidural did only numbed the left half of my body:(  Poor Jeremy heard some colorful language and the anesthesiologist got a few death looks. I really don't like him. At all. The next several hours were painful and not fun. I like to blame my dad, because he was really hoping she would hang on and come on his birthday. He got his wish and it was all worth it. Little girl made her grand entrance into the world at 4:36 a.m. She came out screaming and letting everyone know what she thought about coming into the world. Because she was a month early they took her right away and had the special care nursery check her out. She was absolutely fine and they brought her back to me after about 15 minutes. We have been in love with her ever since!!

Since we have been home we have been settling into a routine. She is the best baby!  She sleeps a lot and eats every three hours. She is able to sleep through Britton, which is no small feat. She is a content little girl and does not get too riled up about things.  Britton LOVES her and it makes me so happy. I was worried about him, but he adores her. He likes to go up to her and say, "How's my sweetheart? You so cute, you so cute!"  Today while I was burping her, he came up to me and scolded me for patting her too hard. He then showed me the proper way to burp her. He is so funny. I love to watch him love on her. Jeremy is absolutely enamored with her. He is so happy to have a baby girl:)  He likes to pick out her outfits and gets mad at me when I take her places without her bow.  We love her so much and she fits perfectly into our little family. 

Jeremy started school again this week. It has been nice to have him home from work, but next week he goes back to work and school. I am not looking forward to becoming a school widow again, but I know it will be worth it. I am very thankful for Jeremy. He is a good man and is working hard for our family. He is the best:)  

Here are some pictures from our hospital stay: 

Our first photo together

Beautiful Girl

Brit's first time holding his baby sister

First family photo

Britton watching Savannah getting her first bath

All bundled up

My first bow

Mommy and Savannah

Daddy's girl!!

Sibling love!!!

Happy girl!! 

1 comment:

  1. Look at all that dark hair! I LOVE IT! Congrats you guys, I am so happy for you three!